Johanna provides editing and writing services to academics and museums in the United States and abroad, with a focus on the arts and humanities. She also coaches writers as they refine their manuscripts, helping them to identify their unique voice, clarify their approach, and structure their argument.
EDITING SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Developmental editing and coaching;
- Proofreading; and
WRITING SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Grant writing;
- Prospectus writing and editing; and
- Content development for museums (see Museum Services for more information).
Johanna works directly with authors and contracts with publishing houses. Academic editing clients and past projects include:
- Maile Hutterer, Framing the Church: The Social, Contextual, and Artistic Power of Gothic Buttresses (University Park: Penn State University Press, under contract). Substantive editing and copyediting of 88,000-word book manuscript.
- Lei Xue, Eulogy for a Crane: Myth and Culture in Chinese Calligraphy (University of Washington Press, under review). Copyediting of 80,000 book manuscript.
- Abigail Susik, Surrealist Sabotage and the War on Work (Duke University Press, under review). Substantive editing and copyediting of 90,000-word book manuscript.
- Juan Eduardo Wolf, Styling Blackness in Chile. Music and Dance in the African Diaspora (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, June 2019). Substantive editing and copyediting of 83,000-word book manuscript.
- Hanna B. Hölling, Francesca G. Bewer, and Katharina Ammann, The Explicit Material. Inquiries on the Intersections of Curatorial and Conservation Cultures. Studies in Art & Materiality, vol. 1 (Leiden: Brill, April 2019). Copyediting and formatting of 85,000-word book manuscript.
- Eleonora Redaelli, Connecting Arts and Place: Cultural Policy and American Cities (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2019). Substantive editing and copyediting of 61,000-word book manuscript.
- Petra ten-Doesschate Chu and Jennifer Milam, Beyond Chinoiserie: Artistic Exchange between China and the West during the Late Qing Dynasty (1796–1911) (Leiden: Brill, 2018). Copyediting and formatting of 96,000-word book manuscript.
- Lori Kruckenberg, chapter in Cambridge History of Medieval Music(Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2018). Proofreading of chapter proofs.
- Gail Andrews and Emily Hanna, The Original Makers: Folk Art from the Cargo Collection (Birmingham: Birmingham Museum of Art, 2018). Substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading of 30,000-word exhibition catalog manuscript.
Johanna has also provided coaching and editing services to advanced graduate students working on articles or dissertations.